To: Faculty & Staff
From: Lee Library Staff
Dear Faculty & Staff,
Welcome to the new school year! We have big hopes and dreams in the library this year and we can’t wait to get started.
This newsletter is a little long because there are some important updates we want you to know about.
The library master calendar is updated and we are busy scheduling classes. We look forward to collaborating & working with as many of you and your students as possible this year.
Lee Library Hours:
- Monday 7:15am - 4pm
- Tuesday 7:15am - 4pm
- Wednesday 7:15am - 4:15pm
- Thursday 7:15am - 4pm
- Friday 7:15am - 3:30pm
Check out the libguide we made just for teachers!
Stop by the library.
We want to know how we can help!
Guidelines for Teachers and Staff using the Library:
How do I schedule my classes to come to the library?
- Teachers wishing to bring classes to the Library must sign up with library staff to reserve. We will need to know:
- Period/s & lunch
- Preferred space
- Looking to collaborate on a lesson? Send us a note or come down and share a few details on the content. We love working together!
- Teachers must accompany their classes to the library and remain with their students. Substitutes may bring students to the library only if the classroom teacher has made prior arrangements with the librarians.
- Let us know if you would like a selection of books to be placed on reserve for class use.
- Let us come to you: We are happy to come to your classroom to teach a lesson!
Can I send individual or small groups of students to the library to do research during class time?
- In order to keep track of students and maintain a unified front, please let us know via email if you would like to have students come to the library during class time.
- Unless prior arrangements have been made, no more than three students may be sent to the library (from any given class) and each student must have a pass.
- The library is not available for students to take a make up a test.
Library Basics for Teachers:
- Teachers may check out books and DVDs as needed.
- Materials may be renewed as needed.
- Each classroom is equipped with basic presentation equipment. Additional equipment, such as digital cameras, or headphone sets, may be borrowed from the library.
- Beyond the physical space, the Library webpage offers access to the library catalog and the databases we subscribe to.
- Library database passwords are available on the library website and in Blackboard
- Learn 360 is AWESOME! We are available to help you learn more about all the new features in Learn 360 and set up accounts to make access to this incredible library of videos, podcasts and teaching resources EASY.
- Remember: all videos in Learn 360 or in any subscription database are appropriate to use in instruction and do not need special approval.
- All other videos or clips, in any format, must be approved through the local approval process, following FCPS regulations.
- Turnitin: We are available to assist you & your students with your Turnitin and accounts
- Blackboard: The library blackboard page is listed under My Classes.
- Citation Guidance:
- The Lee Library Webpage is updated for the new school year and it includes a Citation Guide with tons of information to help students with citations, including links to the attached document and many more to help students efficiently use Noodletools.
Great News about NoodleTools! is now provided for all schools by Instructional Services.
Now all students and teachers have access to this great research platform for individual inquiry and collaborative research.
NoodleTools has been enabled as a Market Place app in Google’s G Suite (formerly Google Apps for Education). All FCPS users will use their Google ID to access NoodleTools.
There are three ways a user can access NoodleTools:
- Clicking the G Suite NoodleTools button (under the Google "waffle" menu)
- Entering their Google email on the login screen (under "Access via Google For Education")
- The FCPS custom link: https://my.noodletools.com/logon/signin?domain=fcpsschools.net
Important: The first time users access NoodleTools this year, they will be prompted to either create a new account or link an existing account and create/update their profiles. See attached instructions.
Step-by-step instruction for accessing NoodleTools are attached. Thank you to Carolyn Hilyard, librarian at Lake Braddock SS, for creating a brief tutorial video to help students get started.
How to access NoodleTools through Google Suite
Additional support material can be found:
Lee Library Citation Guide webpage: http://leehs-fcps.libguides.com/library/citation-guide
NoodleTools Support site: https://noodletools.freshdesk.com/support/home
We are interested in what you are doing in the classroom! Let us know about your lessons, especially any new lessons so we can provide library resources in support.
If students ask you about the library this link will help:
Lee Library basics for Students